Regional Support Office
The Regional Support Office of the Bali Process (RSO) has been established to facilitate the operationalization of the Regional Cooperation Framework (RCF) to reduce irregular migration in the Asia and Pacific region.
The RSO aims to support and strengthen practical cooperation on refugee protection and international migration, including human trafficking and smuggling, and other components of migration management in the region.
- RSO INFORMATION SHEET: Overview of the Regional Support Office
- RSO INFORMATION SHEET: Bali Process Conclusions on Establishment of the RSO
The Bali Process
The Bali Process on People Smuggling, Trafficking in Persons and Related Transnational Crime (Bali Process) is a voluntary and non-binding process with 49 members, including the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), the United Nations Office of Drugs and Crime (UNODC), the International Organization for Migration (IOM) and the International Labour Organization (ILO).There are a further 27 observers to the Bali Process.
For further information on the Bali Process, click here.
The Regional Cooperation Framework
The RCF is an inclusive and non-binding initiative of the Bali Process. Under the RCF, member states are encouraged to enter in to practical arrangements which:
- promote human life and dignity;
- seek to build capacity to process mixed flows and where appropriate utilize available resources;
- reflect principles of burden sharing and collective responsibility while respecting sovereignty and the national security of concerned States;
- seek to address root causes of irregular movement and promote population stabilization wherever possible;
- promote orderly, legal migration and provide appropriate opportunities for regular migration;
- avoid creating pull factors to or within the region;
- undermine the people smuggling model and create disincentives for irregular movement, and may include, in appropriate circumstances transfer and readmission;
- support and promote increased information exchange while respecting confidentiality and upholding the privacy of affected persons.
The Regional Strategic Roadmap
The Regional Strategic Roadmap is an on-line portal that has been devised to enhance counter trafficking cooperation and coordination throughout the Bali Process membership with a view to supporting States to evaluate and improve counter trafficking responses.
You can access the Regional Strategic Roadmap at: http://www.baliprocess-rso-roadmap.net/.